Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [FSFE-Manc] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype a

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [FSFE-Manc] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:48:33 +0100

On 07/02/13 00:48, Andreas Tolf Tolfsen wrote:
> * Så talte Anna Morris <address@hidden>:
>
>> I hope there will soon be a really good free software video option. Sam and I
>> tried to call pidgin to pidgin on the FSFE jabber server the other day. It
>> worked when we were in the same room at the sprint, but it didn't work at a
>> distance sadly.
>>
> You guys might want to check out the WebRTC specification that enables you to
> do peer-to-peer connections from inside the browser.  There was much talk
> about
> this on HN the other day.
>
> Of course it still needs an implementation to be useful in any way.  If
> someone
> feels called to work on a free software web-based communication solution, I
> think that would be a very good starting point.

It was just in slashdot the other day too:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/02/04/1944217/firefox-and-chrome-can-talk-to-each-other

It was discussed at FOSDEM in various places

Some of the infrastructure for P2P (e.g. the SIP RELOAD spec) has been
discussed on the FreedomBox group:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2013-February/005103.html