Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Open ARM GPU drivers

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Open ARM GPU drivers
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 10:20:05 +0000

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 07:43:03 +0000, Andrew Back <address@hidden>
wrote:

> You may also like to take a look at the Parallella board:
>
>   http://www.parallella.org/board/
>
> The 16-core Epiphany floating-point hardware provides 25 GFLOPS

Interesting.

Out of curiosity, are there any performance comparisons with GPGPUs?  I
couldn't find any on the CoreMark website.

> There is also an LGPL v3 licensed OpenCL implementation:
>
>   http://www.browndeertechnology.com/coprthr.htm

Also interesting, and could be useful.  I find it noteworthy that the
library targets multi-core CPUs, rather than GPGPUs.  I've viewed OpenMP as
the de facto method for parallelism on CPUs and OpenCL for GPGPUs but on
reflection, OpenMP seems only like a quick and easy way to get instant
parallelism.  It makes me wonder what advantages there are to implementing
algorithms in OpenCL kernels rather than in parallel OpenMP loops, for a
CPU.  They're quite different environments and OpenCL has a lot of overhead
just to get a kernel to run.

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }