Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Open ARM GPU drivers

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Open ARM GPU drivers
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:04:32 +0000

Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> writes:

> As you may or may not be aware, the state of free video drivers on the
> rising ARM architecture, found in mobile computers, is not good.  This
> includes the Raspberry Pi which has what the makers call a free video
> driver but really it's merely a shim layer to the real driverĀ¹.
> Thankfully this is changing due to reverse engineering efforts:

I'd be interested if anyone knows about the possibility of using the
drivers for floating point work, presumably via OpenCL.  If so, what
sort of performance might Mali 400, for instance, provide?  I couldn't
find much relevant information even for proprietary drivers.

-- Dave [research computing muggins, bemused that Southampton claim
         a Pi-based "supercomputer"]