Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [MAN-LUG] Debian packaging tutorial notes

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [MAN-LUG] Debian packaging tutorial notes
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:12:31 +0000

On 19/01/13 19:31, Paul Waring wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who braved the weather today to make it to the
> packaging tutorial, hope you all enjoyed it.
>
> I've put the notes up on GitHub in case anyone wants to try the tutorial
> in their own time and pace:
>
> https://github.com/pwaring/debian-packaging-tutorial
>
> The notes were primarily a set of prompts for me, so they may not make
> much sense, but I will tidy them up for general consumption over the
> next few days.

Looking at the ITP[1], the notes on building packages were based on the
IntroDebianPackaging[2] wiki page.  That wiki page is good to learn
about the internals of a package but for actually building a package for
real the 'dh_make' route is recommended rather than building from
scratch.  I recommend having a look at the Packaging[3] wiki page, using
git for packaging and sbuild for building.  For wheezy and later, have a
look at the packaging-tutorial package[4] or PDF[5].

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/645883
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/Packaging
[4] http://packages.debian.org/packaging-tutorial
[5]
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging-tutorial/packaging-tutorial.pdf

>  Patches welcome - doubly so if made as pull requests!

Here's a pull request then:

The following changes since commit c992a2f3e7b39bc4bab74179c32e3111ef9d1bf1:

  Adding environment setup to notes. (2013-01-22 19:47:03 +0000)

are available in the git repository at:

git://anonscm.debian.org/users/michaeld-guest/debian-packaging-tutorial.git
master

Michael Dorrington (2):
      In pod fix lines containing nothing but whitespace
      In pod fix '==' pod syntax to '='

 notes.pod |   64

FSF member #9429
http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=9429
http://www.fsf.org/about
"The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is a nonprofit with a worldwide
mission to promote computer user freedom and to defend the rights of all
free software users."