Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [MAN-LUG] [FSFE-Manc] Software Freedom Day: Hunt f

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [MAN-LUG] [FSFE-Manc] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:47:19 +0000

On 12/01/13 20:20, Anna Morris wrote:
> sorry there, I thought that thread was on a fellowship list - didnt notice
> it had branched into a multi-list threat. For some reason this message only
> is on the manlug tho - no idea whats going on. Anyway. Sorry for offending
> people

Thanks for understanding and the request is for everyone.

The email thread had branched to loads of lists, I'm sending this to
just MAN-LUG and MFS list.

The MAN-LUG mailing list software mangles emails.  One thing it does it
to strip all To's and CC's from mails sent to it, replacing them with
its own To.  This combined with email clients or email providers trying
to be "helpful/smart" in removing duplicate emails (same Message-Id)
means that if an email is sent to more than one list you're on but you
receive it first from MAN-LUG then it will look like the email was only
sent to MAN-LUG.

The MAN-LUG mail managing also breaks PGP/MIME signatures so Simon
Ward's and my sigs look broken if you get the email via MAN-LUG.

Solutions include moving the MAN-LUG list to http://lug.org.uk/ or
self-hosting the mailing list software such as Mailman.

Regards,
Mike.
--
FSF member #9429