Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu Spyware: What to Do?

From: Aaron Newell
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu Spyware: What to Do?
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 14:34:22 +0000

Thanks Michael, I'll give that a try. I'm using backports heavily as it is. Cheers.

On Dec 9, 2012 2:28 PM, "Michael Dorrington" <address@hidden> wrote:
On 07/12/12 19:02, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> My distrowatch/ distro-hopping days are largely behind me now so I dunno
> what the best Debian-based distro out there today is but I can recommend

Debian? :)

You could try installing 'wheezy' which, although is not the stable (as
in package churn) release, it is frozen.  It has GNOME Shell but you can
install LXDE or XFCE if you prefer.  The wheezy installer can be
obtained from:

You can pull down a newer Iceweasel (rebranded Firefox) using repository
entries from the Debian Mozilla team page: http://mozilla.debian.net/

If wheezy bores you after it becomes stable then pick newer bits using
'backports':
http://backports.debian.org/
Or if you know what you're doing change your repo entries to be
'testing' so you stay in testing all the time.

Regards,
Mike.
--
FSF member #9429