[Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [Community] OpenPhoenux Prototype of GTA04 based

From: Bob Ham
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [Community] OpenPhoenux Prototype of GTA04 based 7 inch tablet
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:59:23 +0100

Ultracool :-)

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:51:13 +0200
From: "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <address@hidden>
To: OpenPhoenux Community <address@hidden>

OpenPhoenux 7004 Prototype
========================

We have finally assembled a prototype of a 7 inch
tablet system based on the GTA04 mother board
using the custom connector option.

Contrary to other approaches (was it called Mozart
or Beethoven?) we are proud that we already
have solved the kernel adaptation problem and
nobody can unexpectedly change the motherboard
while we are developing software :)

The price we have to pay is of course a higher
price of the devices... In this case the high price
is also coming from the Sharp display module
(LQ070Y3DG3B) which is more expensive
than a no-name display from the scrap heap :)

Again, we have used a 3D printing service to build
the prototype case (thanks to Lukas 'slyon' for the
3D design).

So enjoy the Video showing the prototype and
spread the word about this latest project progress:

        <http://youtu.be/MKUVtGp_AmY>

(sorry for the Ads - this helps a tiny bit for financing
the OpenPhoenux story).

Another note: this device can be built as a really
fully featured tablet with UMTS, WLAN, GPS, position
sensors, FM radio, etc. almost everything available in the
GTA04 when it is stuffed into a Freerunner case. It just
differs in the *big* display and a bigger battery and
availability of speakers.

Software is also compatible, although writing a GUI that
works on any dimension, orientation and resolution of the
screen is quite a challenge. But it should be easy to adapt
QtMoko, SHR, Replicant etc.

The plan for the next step is to redesign the PCB and
the case to fix some minor and major bugs in the
electronics and mechanics.

Nikolaus