Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:51:26 +0100

Daniel Pocock <address@hidden>
> On 04/10/12 12:53, MJ Ray wrote:
> >> http://lists.opentelecoms.org
> >
> > "Please activate JavaScript in your web browser" - could you please
> > make that site useful without running mystery code in our browsers?
>
> Have you tried contacting the sympa package maintainer directly?
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=sympa;dist=unstable

It's already there:
- I think it says it's gone upstream, but not where.

> or can you suggest an alternative list manager?  I felt mailman wasn't
> quite capable of virtual hosting as easily as sympa.

Well, it's been a while since I test-drove them all and I thought they
all sucked in some way, but I know mlmmj will virtual-host, and
there's also enemies-of-carlotta, quickml, schleuder and smartlist.

> >> A lot of the material at http://www.opentelecoms.org (especially under
> >> the Federated VoIP heading) could really help this initiative [...]
> >
> > Maybe, but I saw nothing on opentelecoms to say what copyright licence
> > it's under (go Expat-style?), how to submit improvements, or even who
> > to contact about it.  Is it yours?  Might be worth fixing those.
>
> Yes, it is all material I have written and it could be improved with
> such details.  I'm contemplating a move to Moin (or running Moin in
> parallel) so other people can participate - have you worked with Moin,
> Drupal or any other framework that you think is suitable?

I've worked with Moin and Drupal a little.  I lean towards a wiki like
Moin, but some wikis (mediawiki!) seem to be a bit fiddly to set up
right, based on how many people make a horlicks of it.  The problem
with any system is how to "let the right one in" and accept
contributions without overloading the admins or locking people out
unnecessarily with eyetests or similar.  Moin seems to have good basic
ideas at http://www.moinmo.in/AntiSpamFeatures although it also
discusses some silly ideas like Javascript and Akismet.

Regards,