Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

From: David Gerard
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:35:00 +0100

What about this isn't just the network effect problem?

Skype wins on network effect. (My utterly nontechnical mother got
broadband *just* to Skype to her grandchildren. "Video phone" =
"Skype". [1])

Ubuntu included Ekiga in the default install for ages. It works
perfectly well. They eventually took it out because pretty much no-one
used it.

I submit that the problem is not the software itself - it's gaining
network effect for the software, to overcome the proprietary
incumbent.

- d.

[1] yes, this is bad, but I'm describing the ground first.