Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [Fellowship-uk] help put free software on the 38 d

From: john beddard
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [Fellowship-uk] help put free software on the 38 degrees map....
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:54:48 +0100

Hi Dan,
Yes I know that its quite frustrating when one considers the extent to
which the U.K is being 'bled dry.' MS earned almost £700m from
Government Contracts in 2010 and of course paid hardly any tax. Even
worse, several other large corporations such as Vodaphone just plan
their task avoidance schemes as part of their risk portfolio. So that if
HMRC do intervene, they can plan on long drawn out court
settlements.With any loss just written-off and worthwhile.

In an age where information is king. Proprietary vendors can easily tag
and tap user's data. Widows8 may have face recognition added, that can
then be augmented by GPS and be linked-up to banking details. The
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) are really active here.

On a more positive note, I don't think the British Public are not so
uninformed. My sense is that there is a growing trend for change.The old
centralised (MS) business model of pushing products is being replaced by
decentralised, pull based, social media.  Where free and open-source
software, based on pull, is now increasingly answering public need.

At business meetings almost everyone is aware of and using OpenOffice.
GIMP is also really popular. Then when people become aware of Free
alternatives to their highly priced proprietary apps. It is pleasant to
see the look of surprise on their faces. In short, the time for change
has arrived. Its just a question of getting the information out there.

Ultimately distributed (P2P) networks can move us away from the
centralised thinking that was enhanced during the Industrial
Revolution.That lives on in client/server networks. To this end I'm
committed to the YacY search engine project : http://yacy.net

John