[Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Talk. Tues, 21 Feb. "Git: How Linux, th

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Talk. Tues, 21 Feb. "Git: How Linux, the kernel, is developed." by Michael Dorrington
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 07:57:31 +0000

I recommend that you start with:

The Git Parable
     http://tom.preston-werner.com/2009/05/19/the-git-parable.html

Git from the bottom up
     http://ftp.newartisans.com/pub/git.from.bottom.up.pdf

Now "Git from the bottom up" does refer to some commands that have
changed but it gives you a really good understanding of all the bits
which really helps.

Then go onto the documentation site on git's website:
     http://git-scm.com/documentation

Among lots of other things this has the "Pro Git" book which looks good,
though I've only had a little look at it.  You can buy a printed copy of
it too.

Practical:

1. Clone a git repo of something you are interested in, for instance,
pick something from http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/ .
2. Browse around your cloned repo.  Have a look at how they've used
branches and tags.  Have a look at the commit logs.
3. Switch between branches.  Verify a tag (if signed).  Check out the tag.
4. Find a bug in the cloned repo text/code, create a branch to fix it
in, fix and submit patch. :)

Regards,
Mike.