[Fsuk-manchester] Liverpool LUG meeting with Sam Tuke - Free Software Vs

From: Bob Ham
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Liverpool LUG meeting with Sam Tuke - Free Software Vs. Open Source: how much freedom is enough? - Wednesday 7th March 2012
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 19:43:53 +0000

On Wednesday, 7th March 2012, the Liverpool Linux User Group will be
meeting.  Sam Tuke of the Free Software Foundation Europe¹ will be
giving a talk entitled "Free Software Vs. Open Source: how much
freedom is enough?"  An abstract follows:

  At what point does advocating freedom become tyrannical? Freedom to
  use the license we want, or freedom from certain kinds of
  restrictions? Can't we let the license suit the purpose? As long as
  I'm able to choose what I use, what's the problem? Can't we all just
  get along?

  These questions and more will be addressed in a talk about the
  relationship between the two major traditions: Free Software and
  Open Source. The relevance of the debate to society, the impact on
  developers, and the history of the movement will all be addressed
  during discussion of these difficult subjects.

We will meet at the Liverpool Social Centre² at 7.00pm for a 7.30pm
start.  After the talk, we will venture to Studio 2³ for beverages and
further discussion.

Liverpool Social Centre is next door to the News from Nowhere bookshop
on Bold Street⁴.  To access the centre, press the bell for the
basement on the left of the door and someone will come up and let you in.

This promises to be another fascinating talk :-)

¹ http://uk.fsfe.org/
² http://www.liverpoolsocialcentre.org/
³ http://www.parrstreet.co.uk/STUDIO2/Home.htmhttp://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.402426&lon=-2.976481&zoom=18