Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Googles policy "no-change" change?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Googles policy "no-change" change?
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:08:38 +0000

Sam Tuke <address@hidden>
> [...] in future this will be stated on your
> Google+ account, or your GMail account will automatically be searched to find
> out how you did it. Who knows. A step in the wrong direction for privacy, it
> seems to me.

Yeah, "don't be evil" my foot! They're a private anonymous-stockholder
corporation, AIUI required by law to be evil if it's more profitable.

> Out of interest I stopped using Google search on most of my machines a few
> months ago and switched to DuckDuckGo. You can set Firefox to completely
> replace Google with another, more privacy conscious, search engine - it's
> fairly easy. Hopefully one day soon we'll all be using a Free Software search
> engine like YaCy, with better results, better privacy, and more freedom :)

Any guide on setting Firefox/Iceweasel to completely replace Google?
I think I've got all of the defaults and I've installed noscript.net,
but I'm not entirely confident.

I've also tried Chromium recently (the FOSS browser inside Chrome) and
I've been really disappointed with how clunky the privacy controls are.
Am I being dense and using it wrong, or do they not want users to have
any privacy? ;-)

Regards,