Re: [Fsuk-manchester] OpenStreetMap

From: Ben Webb
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] OpenStreetMap
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:25:56 +0100

2011/9/15 Michael Dorrington <address@hidden>:
> On 15/09/11 00:23, Ben Webb wrote:
>> On 14 September 2011 23:22, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Ben Webb <address@hidden>

>>> Thanks for that.  So... is there currently a way for free software
>>> users to contribute to OpenStreetMap and if so, what is it?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> OpenStreetMap has an open api, and there are clients for various
>> platforms[1]. The most used of these is a free software client called
>> josm, which is in debian's main repository, and is what I use to
>> contribute.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing
>>
>> Ben
>
> What about their backend server side stuff that present the API?
>
> Mike.

Although as with any website/web service it is difficult to verify
this, the source code that is used on the website is available in a
git repository[1] (that appears to be up to date). This code is
supposed to be available under the GPLv2 but atm they don't have
explicit confirmation of this from all contributors.

Ben

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/The_Rails_Port