Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BSD

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BSD
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:46:22 +0100

On 11/06/11 11:50, MJ Ray wrote:
> Michael Dorrington wrote:
>> FreeBSD is listed on the FSF's "Meet the free software gang":
>> http://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang/freebsd
>
> I'm disappointed but not surprised that FSF let FreeBSD in their gang
> after FSF's years of debian-bashing. :-(

They seem to have kicked FreeBSD out their gang. It has been silently
removed from http://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang and the direct
FreeBSD page redirects to the FSF login page. Though the "meet the free
software gang" image still contains the FreeBSD mascot.

> As http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html describes, FreeBSD
> isn't even as close as debian to being 100% free.  What it doesn't
> mention is that FreeBSD doesn't even prefer the free stuff over the
> proprietary junk AFAICT: unless you read the description, that
> description mentions a licence agreement and then you find that, read
> it and realise it's not free, you'd probably not know what you'd got
> until you'd installed the port or package.
>
> Back to the original question: there is no one true path.  I used to
> use FreeBSD when it worked better on some hardware, but at that time,
> all the major operating systems made you watch carefully if you wanted
> to avoid proprietary software.

For a guaranteed Free Software OS, Debian is a good choice.

Regards,
Mike.