Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Enjoyed the meeting

From: Robert Burrell Donkin
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Enjoyed the meeting
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:18:54 +0100

2011/8/21 Michael Dorrington <address@hidden>:

<snip>

> Further to a conversion I had with Mick Fuzz about permissive free
> software licences, which I don't think a lot of people understand the
> implications of, that is, it can be made into non-free software

As indeed can works licensed using weak copyleft and copyright
transferred to corporate ownership for use in a strong copyleft
project

It took over a decade of work to reach this stage but it's now really simple...

The GPLv3 is an excellent state-of-the-art strong copyleft license.
When you want to prevent your work being use in non-free software,
license the work under the GPLv3.

The Apache License, Version 2 is a state-of-the-art
(software-patent-aware easy-contribution) permissive license. When you
want your work to be used as widely as possible (whilst disclaiming
liability and warranty) then use ALv2.

Robert