[Fsuk-manchester] Helping Openmoko GTA04

From: Bob Ham
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Helping Openmoko GTA04
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 15:25:48 +0100

Hi all,

The guys behind the Openmoko GTA04 phone have come up against some
problems in their development (see attached email).  They are requesting
financial help in the form of either donations:

  http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04-Early-Adopter

(at the bottom of that page) or purchases of one of their cool little
computers, the Letux 400:

  http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Letux%20400

I thought I would forward this request in case anyone else is willing to
assist with the next Openmoko phone.  And because the Letux 400 thing
looks interesting :-)

Bob

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }

--- Begin Message --- Subject: [Gta04-owner] GTA04A3 Testing Status Update Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:42:48 +0200
Hi all,
I have good news and bad news. As usual,

a) good news first:

        the DM3730 CPU is working fine :)

We had to fix some PinMux settings and initialisation
in X-Loader and U-Boot, but yesterday I received the
first board with a UMTS module!

        http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images/DSC00977.jpeg

This board has all components as the final GTA04.

b) bad news:

        the UMTS module does not respond on
        the internal USB2.0 :(

It is not even clear if it is initializing and running its firmware.

Currently we have no idea why and have not found
a way to debug it. What we don't know is, if we did some
mistake in hooking it up to the CPU or if it was badly
soldered or even was damaged during soldering.

This crumbles up the schedule again :(

The plan was to have this "golden master board" working
by yesterday and then produce the Early Adopter boards
next week.

But we can't start production before we know what the
problem is. Unfortunately, the production company will
have 3 weeks of holidays after next week. So unless we
find a solution over this weekend, we will have to wait until
end of August :(

One test we can do on Monday is to solder some wires directly
to another module. I.e. we don't reflow the whole module and
have more access to all signal pads.

But it is not clear if this already breaks the schedule. And
experiments like this also strain our development budget.

Well, the budget already became quite low due to all these
delays and many reworks.

So I would like to ask for some financial support. One option
is to donate:

        http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04-Early-Adopter

(at the bottom of the page "Just a donation...").

Another good help would be if you could consider buying or
recommending this nice MIPS based mini-book from our shop:

        http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Letux%20400

It is not the most modern one, but amongst the cheapest ones and
with 670g really light weight. Some guys also have a working 2.6.31
kernel for this machine so that Debian Squeeze can run.

We can also provide the schematics so that you can e.g. add
an external access to the I2C bus or whatever ideas you have.

Getting rid of the remaining stock without scrapping them would
contribute a little to the GTA04 project.

Sorry that I don't have good news only,
Nikolaus

PS: if someone is interested in internal details of the UMTS module
(which appears to be the same chipset as used in the iPhone 4),
start to search the web for "Gobi 3000" or "MDM6200". Or go to
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/
and search for NCM / OMO6012