Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BSD

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BSD
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:50:02 +0100 (BST)

Michael Dorrington wrote:
> FreeBSD is listed on the FSF's "Meet the free software gang":
> http://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang/freebsd

I'm disappointed but not surprised that FSF let FreeBSD in their gang
after FSF's years of debian-bashing. :-(

As http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html describes, FreeBSD
isn't even as close as debian to being 100% free.  What it doesn't
mention is that FreeBSD doesn't even prefer the free stuff over the
proprietary junk AFAICT: unless you read the description, that
description mentions a licence agreement and then you find that, read
it and realise it's not free, you'd probably not know what you'd got
until you'd installed the port or package.

Back to the original question: there is no one true path.  I used to
use FreeBSD when it worked better on some hardware, but at that time,
all the major operating systems made you watch carefully if you wanted
to avoid proprietary software.

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/