[Fsuk-manchester] IMPORTANT: okay computer list sign up.

From: Anna Morris
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] IMPORTANT: okay computer list sign up.
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 19:27:12 +0100

Dear all,

Due to popular demand and general sensibleness, we now have a mailing list for okay_computer!

This list will be for organisers and attendees alike, so everyone can muck in together: anyone, from any group and of any skill level is welcome!

For organisers: this list will be the place where all organisational issues are discussed, and all the planning will happen. Its really important that you sign up, because okay_computer planning will no longer be happening on your other lists. This should save us all a lot of bother I think! : )

For attendees: this list will keep you informed and help you to contribute your ideas, time and muscle to future events. It will give you a good place to get technical advise or assistance, and will be a good place for you to learn more about free software.

So, who ever you are, please do come join this list and get involved. If we all work together, we can all help make okay computer bigger, better, freeer and more welcoming than ever!

How to join the list, click on the link below and put your details in the boxes as asked. Then, click "subscribe." You will get an email in your in-box noting your request, and then another asking you to confirm. Once you have confirmed (by following the instructions in the email) you are then on the list.

If you are an active member of a specific group, it might be helpful for you to put then name of the group along side your user name. For example: Bob Smith - FSFE, or Josephine Blogs - ManLug. This helps people (like me and novice attendees) who are not so familiar with all the groups, to get to know more about the free software (et. al.) scene in the north west : )

How to use the list: If you want to send an email to the list, you need to use the list address like a normal email.

The list email address is: address@hidden .

Your email message will then automatically go to everyone else on the list, and they can all reply, and everyone will see their reply too! Its like a big email conversation. If you want to reply to an email, make sure you click "reply to all" (not just "reply) because otherwise you may be replying to one person and not everyone. Sometimes you might just want to talk to one person however: this is called an "offlist email." In this instance, use "reply" or their normal personal email address.

Lists can be a bit overwhelming if you are new to them, but never fear, you will get used to it all very quickly, and help its always at hand. If you are new, watch especially for replies WITHIN the text of your original email. For example

address@hidden said

I think we should have more vegan cakes this time, they were really lush.

address@hidden
replied

>I think we should have more vegan cakes this time, they were really lush

Yes, I agree, lushalicious cake mmmm!

Thanks for reading

I hope to see many of you on list sometime soon!

Yours faithfully

Miss Anna F J Morris
Birth Mother of Okay_Computer