Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [MAN-LUG] [MFS-Team] [U-Cubed] thoughts

From: Les Pounder
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [MAN-LUG] [MFS-Team] [U-Cubed] thoughts
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:08:24 +0100

Hi Anna, everyone.

Anna, I agree with the points made in your previous email.
There are numerous groups, and to an outsider they are not well publicised.
Our goal should be to provide a central point of contact for users, new and experienced. This point of contact would contain the links and information necessary for visitors to
Learn about groupsLearn about events in their areaFind contact details for various groups in the area.The committee's other role would be as I see it, an overarching support role, the committee would have no control over the events / groups, but would provide support where needed, and co-ordinate resources where needed.

Blackpool LUG have, in the last year have helped at local events, for example UCubed, Barcamp Blackpool, How Why DIY and Okay Computer. Our involvement was always by invitation, and we have ensured that we worked with the organiser to relaise their intentions / design.

An IRC meeting would be my first preference, simply because it removes 3hrs of train journeys from the equation. But if all avenues were exhausted I would be able to attend in person, but only on a Saturday.

Our goal is quite clear, to create a single team, that helps promote the use of FLOSS in our geographical area.
We all want the same thing, so lets sit down together, work out how we can achieve this, and make a big difference to our local communities.

All the best
Les