[Fsuk-manchester] Libre Office collaborative coding project

From: Andrew Gladwell
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Libre Office collaborative coding project
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:44:25 +0100

I note that Diaspora, the free Facebook alternative, has collaboration built in. The developers talk about ownership of a "seed", and encrypted data transfers.

Might it be worth looking at this project and either deciding to bolt Libre Office on, or to take some lessons from this approach?

One problem I immediately foresee with diaspora is the need to run your own server all the time, as I understand it. And, should you choose to host a seed on your Android phone, what implications does that have? It would choke your bandwidth. Might sound like a crazy thing to do but someone will try.

Are people willing to pay for this, or to pay for hosting on a shared server, when they can already get Facebook for free? If Diaspora are not making money from selling your data and browsing habits, how do they expect to pay for the service?

Andrew Gladwell.