Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fedora

From: João Pedro Forjaz de Lacerda
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fedora
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:37:58 +0100

Hey Luke!

Yes, F15 does sound promising, pretty much everyone at the office is using it!
systemd is a mess at the moment, though.

Gentoo has had parallel init scripts for ages now (viz.
RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes" in /etc/rc.conf -- or something like that).
The main difference is that systemd provides cgroups support (it's
about time!), and is written C.

I'm not using Plan 9, but merely playing around with it within KVM
(Plan 9 is not meant for everyday use -- it has but one or two
realistic use cases, and even those only fit within AT&T and Bell
Labs).
Inferno is very similar to Plan 9 in it's use of files ("everything is
a file") and namespaces. It has one interesting feature: Limbo (as I
see it, Bell Labs' Java offshoot). For research purposes, I would
recommend delving into Plan 9, and tinkering with the Go language.

Gentoo is worth the compilation hassle (note that it is a ongoing
hassle, as emerge xyz downloads source and compiles it -- some
binaries are available though, who wants to wait 3 hours for Chromium
to compile?). You are left with a heavily-optimized system (if you
configure correctly), which is refreshing given today's gratuitous use
of disk space + memory.

Kind regards,

J.P.