Re: [Fsuk-manchester] UK Government Gets Really Serious About Open Sourc

From: Robert Burrell Donkin
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] UK Government Gets Really Serious About Open Source
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:51:27 +0000

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
> http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/enterprise-os-how-hard-can-it-be/2011/02/the-government-gets-really-serious-about-open-source/index.htm
>
> This sounds promising, but on the other hand we’ve heard it all before
> (just search for “uk government open source”). It doesn’t indicate that
> proprietary software procurement will be ruled out in my interpretation

note that the language used is open source not software libre

more [open source + agile development] using mostly local developers
is very likely to happen

more strategic use of open source is probably

> of the article author’s interpretation of the message from the Cabinet
> Office, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

desperation opens many doors [1]

the question for the community: given a £25 million fund for a single,
new FOSS development project, what should you develop to maximize
value to the public sector?

Robert

[1]
http://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/content/169/fixing-the-flaws-in-government-it