Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Transport to RMS events

From: Bob Clough
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Transport to RMS events
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:29:24 +0000

Simon isn't able to make this anymore, and asked me to pass on his apologies to anyone he was going to meet up with tonight.

On 19 February 2011 20:04, Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
I have checked train times for the Preston and Sheffield events of
Richard Stallman’s 2011 European Tour, details below.  If no other
transport options come up, I will be aiming to get the suggested trains,
so if you want some company on the way there, please do join me.

If you’re going by car and are willing to take a few extra passengers,
then please reply, along with how much you expect fuel costs to be.  If
there are enough of us going to either event from Manchester, it may be
worth hiring a minibus, but I haven’t looked into costs and don’t know
where to start.

Registration for the Preston event allows you to express interest in a
coach for the event.

Title: A Free Digital Society
Time: 2011-03-02 18:30 (check‐in from 17:30 to 18:20)
Location: Darwin Building, UCLan, Preston
Web: http://www.theiet.org/local/uk/northwest/lancs-cumbria/freedigitalsocietyMarch2011.cfm
Map: http://osm.org/go/evgXGetM?m=1
Directions from station: http://yournavigation.org/?flat=53.755966163257&flon=-2.7062869068879&tlat=53.760532992533&tlon=-2.7084541317723&v=foot&fast=0&layer=mapnik
Trains: http://traintimes.org.uk/man/pre/18:00a/2011-03-02/21:00/2011-03-02

Reception is open from 17:30, we would need to arrive before 18:20 to
ensure our seats are not reallocated.  The best train ticket option is
an off‐peak return at £10.10, assuming travelling back the same day.
Two singles cost more, and are less flexible.  I suggest heading for the
16:46 from Manchester Piccadilly to arrive in Preston in good time.

Title: Copyright vs Community in the Age of Computer Networks
Time: 2011-03-05 10:30/2011-03-05 13:00 (check‐in from 09:45)
Web: http://www.theiet.org/local/uk/yorks/south/11-03-stallman-lecture.cfm
Location: The University of Sheffield Auditorium, Sheffield University
   Union of Students, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN.
Map: http://osm.org/go/eu3_Rxsf?m=1
Directions from station: Catch the Supertram for Middlewood /
   Hillsborough at the station and alight at the University.  The
   Students Union complex is across the road from the tram stop.
Trains: http://traintimes.org.uk/man/shf/09:30a/2011-03-05/13:30/2011-03-05

The cheapest tickets are advance singles, at about £11 total (depending
on time).  If, like me, you prefer to have a bit more flexibility, an
off‐peak return will cost £16.90.  I suggest getting the 08:20 from
Manchester Piccadilly, then hopping on the next tram.

simple system that works.—John Gall