Re: [Fsuk-manchester] here's one to ponder..

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] here's one to ponder..
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 01:34:38 +0000

I’m just rambling now, at least until I can get to sleep…

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:19:08AM +0000, I wrote:
> I also believe in open data (although apparently differently to some
> other people—I go more for free in the same sense as free software
> than simply “accessible”)

This is actually a prime example of “open” being the wrong word to
describe “free”.  In the free software world, it’s pretty much a given,
philosophies aside, that free software is the same as open source
software.  In the data world, “open” doesn’t consistently mean the same
thing: Many think that just by publishing the data that it is open
(usually also lumping in the monetary “free” too).

simple system that works.—John Gall