Re: [Fsuk-manchester] here's one to ponder..

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] here's one to ponder..
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 01:19:08 +0000

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:05:13AM +0000, Simon Ward wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:16:05AM +0000, Tim Dobson wrote:
> > http://infotrope.net/2011/01/28/why-im-not-an-open-source-person/
> >
> > If you read the article and get wound up by the words 'open source',
> […]
>
> Wound up?  Why would I?  I’m not an “open source” person either :)

Having actually read the article, it seems that the author *is* an “open
source” person, it’s just that it’s not the only openness he believes
in.

I believe in free software, and I’m very much a free software person.  I
also believe in open data (although apparently differently to some other
people—I go more for free in the same sense as free software than simply
“accessible”) and open standards.  Because I believe in these other
“open” things does not mean I should not continue advocating free
software.

Furthermore, these are just the things I pick out, and things that I
think I am more able to help with.  It doesn’t mean that I don’t believe
in other things, or that I consider myself not a free‐or‐open‐something‐
else person.

simple system that works.—John Gall