Re: [Fsuk-manchester] I had no idea

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] I had no idea
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:30:47 +0000 (GMT)

Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Tom Chiverton <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 January 2011 14:54:54 Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> >> For example, playing a DVD you purchased on a digital player[1] or a
> >
> > Using a DVD player is illegal ? Howso ?
>
> Digital players copy. WIthout an explicit license for this copy, you
> are a criminal.

It's interesting that I didn't find anything to contradict that for a
DVD.  I thought there was something analogous to the "necessary" copy
permission for computer programs (section 50C of the Copyright Designs
And Patents Act 1988 as amended at 1/1/2005) but it seems not - unless
we can regard a DVD as a program.

There did seem to be a similar idea to the first sale right that I
think someone mentioned earlier, embodied in section 56 "Transfers of
copies of works in electronic form".

Puzzled,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/