Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Wikipedia day at Madlab

From: Mark Reynolds
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Wikipedia day at Madlab
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:24:32 +0000

> I’d like to hope this is not just a Wikimedia Foundation publicity and
>fundraising event
I never said it was, Wikipedia doesn't exactly need any publicity,
this isn't what it's intended to be about. I want to explain the
benefits of contributing and show how people can do so regardless of
their level of ability. I'll also be talking about the importance of
the Creative Commons licenses, the role of free software in running
the site and what Wikipedia has in common with the free software
philosophy and how you can contribute to open source projects in many
of the same ways you can with Wikipedia.

>Is this just a slip, because it looks like a conscious decision was made to
>find and replace all occurrences of “open source” with “free software”? :P
I'm primarily trying to aim this at a largely non-technical audience
and using the event to introduce them to the basic ideas and concepts
through something that they're already familiar with. This kind of
political debate and infighting would put people off looking at even
the basics.

>What software does Wikipedia use?
Actually, quite a lot. Google is your friend here:
The site started as a Perl CGI script running on single server in
2001. Wikipedia now has 200 application servers, 20 database servers
and 70 servers dedicated to Squid cache servers.
Wikipedia is powered by the MediaWiki software, which was originally
written to run Wikipedia and is now an open source project. MediaWiki
uses PHP running on a MySQL database. Mituzas said MySQL instances
range from 200 to 300 gigabytes. In addition to Squid, Wikipedia uses
Memcached and the Linux Virtual Server load balancer. Wikipedia also
uses database sharding to set up master-slave relationships between
databases.
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/06/24/a-look-inside-wikipedias-infrastructure/

Wikimedia chooses Ubuntu for all of its servers
http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/resources/case-studies/wikimedia-chooses-ubuntu-all-its-servers

I hope we can put these squabbles aside on the day.