Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply

From: João Pedro Forjaz de Lacerda
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:58:45 +0000

Hey all,

I must agree with Michael on this. If done correctly, the philosophy talk will rather become a motivational talk -- what better students to have than those who are intrinsically motivated to learn? You might argue that being intrinsically motivated is a precondition to attending this event, but one might be motivated for the wrong reasons (don't forget that you're dealing with beginners).

Analogously: before you give someone a parachute and throw them out of an airplane, you ensure that they have been properly trained on ground. Ultimately, this prevents people from harming themselves and others due to a lack of information (and it is our duty to fill this gap).

Side-note: I'm willing to help out with this event, drop me an e-mail if you need me.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 12:22:49PM +0000, Mark Reynolds wrote:
> That sounds like a nice plan but I don't think it's very fair to throw
> people into a 1/2 hour philosophy talk first thing

I think the philosophy is important, but would probably make the first
session a 5-10 minute introduction.  Later, the philosophy can be
elaborated.

In my experience, you throw a load of the philosophy at people, you end
up saying it to the people already agreeing with it (preaching to the
converted).  What would be better is to introduce the philosophy first,
give some practical reasons for using Ubuntu/free software, and in no
particular order elaborate on both, demonstrating where applicable.

> I would combine this with the introduction to the software and show
> them how to do a few simple tasks,

I wouldn’t combine them, I would still talk about the philosophy
separately.  It’s important enough to be discussed on its own, and not
obscured in a discussion about something else.

> then let people loose on it. This way they can see how to do things
> they might already know how to do on other systems so that they're not
> sat in front of it wondering where to start.

I want both the technical benefits and freedoms to be covered, and one
should not swamp the other, both are vital.

simple system that works.—John Gall