Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day 2010 - Arch Hurd

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day 2010 - Arch Hurd
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 09:38:31 +0100

Michael S. Walker wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 01:00:56 +0100
> Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
>> Its all fairly relaxed (well, if you aren't the organiser it is) with
>> people running their stalls, demo'ing ad-hoc and informally chatting.
>> At last year's event several people that attended said that they were
>> interested in a more explained Ubuntu install demo and so we[2] set a
>> time (so as to give a chance to gather more people) and then ran it.
>
> Well, I'll see how it goes and maybe do something more spectacular
> next year

Fireworks and jazz hands?

> - we have plans to hit ArchCon 2011 and possibly FrOSCon next
> year, with one of the devs maybe doing something at C3 this year. All
> publicity is good publicity ;)

This should be a gentle start to that.

> I have until the 18th to sort out a working Hurd box then :P

Might be hard as they've been trying for over 20 years! ;)

>> I'll put you on our SFD wiki page. Set up is from 8am-10am, with event
>> starting at 10am. Though it doesn't hot up until a little later
>> (11am?).
>
> Great - what time do things generally last until?

4pm end. Then 4pm-6pm clear up.

> So, now that the fun things are sorted out - logistics. Specifically,
> what will be provided, and what will we need to bring? As neither I nor
> Matt (the only two who will be coming) live in Manchester, we'll
> (probably) be transporting stuff via train.

You can just bring yourselves as we have machines, power, wifi, tables,
chairs. If you can bring a laptop then that would be good but not essential.

> Additionally, will there be an Internet connection available? And, if
> so, will it be possible to connect with a static IP - the Hurd doesn't
> support DHCP yet.

There is wifi. I'm sure we can sort something out, we can always
route+nat it through another machine.

Regards,
Mike.