Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Twitter?

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Twitter?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:12:51 +0100

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:59:58AM +0100, Jonathan Davis wrote:
> Just thought I'd make a quick suggestion regarding a Twitter account for
> Manchester Free Software. I know many of you probably aren't fans of the
> non-free technology involved, although like Facebook (where we do currently
> have a presence) I would argue that it's becoming a necessary evil.

I don’t think Facebook or Twitter are necessary.  They’re not
necessarily evil either—“evil” is such as strong word—but they aren’t
free and/or have policies that affect other freedoms (privacy).

> I think an account would come in handy for people to be able to keep
> track of the meetings, special events such as Software Freedom Day,
> along with any other news or location changes.

Try !mcrfs on Identi.ca (which I thought you already had an account on).

Identi.ca is based on StatusNet (formerly Laconi.ca) which is free
software.  You can run your own instance if you want to, and do all of
the things free software normally allows.

StatusNet implements the OpenMicroBlogging specification, an open
standard.  It is interoperable with any other software implementing the
specification (unfortunately not Twitter, but see below), and does not
limit you to only communicating with other people using the same
implementation.

The API is largely compatible with the Twitter API, so you can use many
existing Twitter clients to post updates to Identi.ca with little change
in configuration (maybe some modification if the client does not allow
you to configure the API URI).

Identi.ca also has a much more liberal policy on content posted by
users.

> This would also allow people to 'mention' and 'retweet' us to promote
> our activities more widely and effectively.

Identi.ca, and other micro‐blogging services allow this too.

Although I don’t use Facebook, I haven’t really seen any competitive
alternatives (based on my understanding of it), so I can understand
people being driven to use it.  I avoid it completely, and am capable of
continuing to do so until a reasonable free alternative comes around,
and probably some time after.  There are other ways of keeping up with
friends and other associates that can keep me going for a little while
longer. :)

However, since StatusNet exists, is free software, and is in many ways
technically superior to Twitter, I would be even less will to encourage
further use of Twitter.

If you must live in the Twitter world, with a Twitter bridge you can
have your Identi.ca updates automatically posted to Twitter.  Some
clients also support posting to and reading both at once.

> Most other local groups have a Twitter presence, for example;
> MadLab[1], Manchester GirlGeeks[2], BarCamp Manchester[3], Manchester
> WordPress User Group[4].

Just because all of the other groups do it… I should shear you and knit
myself a new jumper. ;)

> I'd be quite happy to run such an account on behalf of the group if
> required, but I thought I would ask for people's opinions on whether
> it would be useful or not?

Useful for some people maybe, but very much backwards, both in terms of
furthering free software and in technological advancement.

simple system that works.—John Gall