RE: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Tor node

From: Pete Morris
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Tor node
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:10:41 +0100

Tor exit nodes are a recipe for headache if ever there was one. If you want a
nice, quick, does-what-it-says-on-the-tin method of getting MadLab raided by
GMP on a regular basis and eventually shut down, a Tor exit node will suit you
down to the ground.

Consider what an exit node is: it effectively acts as a proxy server for people
who don't want anyone to know what they are looking at. For every freedom
fighter you will find 100 warez and kiddie porn users. Trying to prove that the
exit node is not your personal traffic is down to you, and although the EFF
have a few interesting case-study letters to try and amuse the authorities
with, when you are sat in a cell you are unlikely to have access to their
website to download them.

The only person I know who runs an exit node does so on a device that cannot be
traced to them. I investigated running one for a while in my early days and was
firmly advised to not touch it with a bargepole.

This is a great shame, as in principle Tor is a superb idea, and obviously
there is a world wide shortage of high quality exit nodes (by that I mean exit
nodes that don't themselves packet sniff all traffic going through them to try
and fish out passwords). However, it's a bit of a no-win situation. To run a
high quality Tor exit node, you need:
a) high levels of resources, such as bandwidth;
b) high levels of guarantee that your own route between your ISP and "the
internet backbone" (if you'll excuse my poor metaphors) isn't contaminated by
government activity (being a top-level ISP such as BT helps);
c) high levels of cash to pay off the authorities and/or enough legal or
corporal clout to get them to leave you alone.

MadLab strikes me as being an organisation that doesn't have an excess of any
of those.

Tor exit nodes are one of those ideas rather like joining the
BNP/EDL/UAF/<insert random extreme political group>, which whilst you are all
passioned-up about the cause seems the way forward ... but in the cold light of
day, you think to yourself, "actually I should have kept my head down :("

Pete