Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Announcing the "Federation of Free Software UK

From: Pete Morris
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Announcing the "Federation of Free Software UK
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:51:56 +0100

Personally, I think the problem with AF for FFSUK will be the
revolutionary communist association, not the anarchist one.
http://www.af-north.org/?q=aims+and+principles

...that and the fact that 99% of people rightly or wrongly associate the word "anarchism" with violent clashes between the BNF and Unite Against Fascism and windows getting smashed.

Philosophy is all well and good, but when you're trying to pitch to your boss why having Debian on the web box is beneficial to his business and profits, having the word "anarchism" mentioned anywhere in the business case is not going to do you any favours.

Me: "Free software is great because it has the latest features and security patches developed by a huge community rather than having to wait for a single-point-of-failure development house"
Boss: "I like it, have a pay rise"

Me: "Free software is great because together, comrades, we will use it to smash the oppressive forces of tyranny and overthrow the government with our iron fist of protest" Boss: "Ummm, right, I've been meaning to have a chat with you about some redundancies we've got to make in the company"

Pete