Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Announcing the "Federation of Free Software UK

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Announcing the "Federation of Free Software UK
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:47:54 +0100 (BST)

Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Luke Taylor wrote:
> > Excellent!I have been thinking that we should make inroads with the
> > Anarchist Federation, some people in there already dig the free
> > software philosophy and I think that attendance at a couple of their
> > meetings could potentially yield new members and conceivably future
> > joint events. The main question now is whether MFS is comfortable
> > with the anarchist association? Luke
>
> What? Is the Federation of Small Businesses an Anarchist group???
> http://www.fsb.org.uk/

As I understand it in the AF sense, Anarchism is simply the absence of
hierarchy (an-arch-ism), but the FSB is pretty hierarchical with
members under branches under committees under regions under committees
under the main FSB, so I'd say not.  http://www.fsb.org.uk/local-fsb

Personally, I think the problem with AF for FFSUK will be the
revolutionary communist association, not the anarchist one.
http://www.af-north.org/?q=aims+and+principles

So while there will probably be sympathies between the groups, some in
each will be opposed to formal links, so I wouldn't try.  Work together
if/when it suits and try to avoid either taking over the other.

I'll comment on the FFSUK on fsfe-uk when I get a mo.

Best wishes,
--
MJ Ray (slef) Webmaster and developer for hire at | software