[Fsuk-manchester] Document Freedom Day (DFD) on Wednesday, 31st March 20

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Document Freedom Day (DFD) on Wednesday, 31st March 2010
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:12:59 +0000

Its "Document Freedom Day" on Wednesday, 31st March 2010.

Website: http://www.documentfreedom.org/
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Freedom_Day
FSFE: http://fsfe.org/news/2010/news-20100302-01.en.html

Its aim is:

"Document Freedom Day (DFD) is a global day for document liberation. It
will be a day of grassroots effort to educate the public about the
importance of Open Document Formats and Open Standards in general."

Open document formats and open standards are very important to free
software for interoperability. For example, the FSF have a campaign on
the OpenDocument format <http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/>.

What can we do on Wednesday?

* We could point out the need for open document formats to the supplier
of any closed document format we encounter during the day.
* We could do "tell a friend" about the need for open document formats
and open standards.
* Get the word out there about the need for open document formats and
open standards on websites, blogs, social networking, etc.

Other ideas?

Regards,
Mike.