[Fsuk-manchester] Girl Geek Afternoon Tea v3

From: Samantha Bail
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Girl Geek Afternoon Tea v3
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:39:41 +0000

Hi everyone,

the next Girl Geek Afternoon Tea (see below) will clash a little with the Ubuntu Global Jam, but in case you'd like to mess about with some hardware on Jam-Day-2, it would be lovely to see you downstairs! :)
More information and registration here: http://girlgeektea.eventbrite.com/

Cheers,
Sam

Girl Geek Afternoon Tea v3 - Computer Surgery Workshop!

When:

Sunday, 28/03/2010, 2-4.30pm

Where:

MadLab, Manchester's Hackspace in the Norther Quarter www.madlab.org.uk (36 Edge Street)

We will be downstairs this time.

Who:

Girl Geeks, bring along anyone you like! Your friends, sisters, mums, cousins, daughters, colleagues... who might be interested in doing some techy stuff... Even boys can come if you want to bring them as your date! (But please register everyone so we know how many people we can expect :)

What:

Back in the days, when computer were BIG GREY BOXES and not those tiny shiny laptops we all use today, getting a new machine meant WORK. Real, honest, proper work, with screwdrivers, cables, dust, and sharp metal edges. Oh yes.

If you’ve always wondered what a computer looked like from the inside, and how you could stick the bits together to build something that’s more than the sum of its parts - look no further!

At the Girl Geek Afternoon Tea Computer Surgery Workshop, we’re going to drop a ton (literally...perhaps) of spare parts onto you and then it will be your turn to get your hands dirty and build a shiny new machine. Once the parts are in the right place, we'll install an open source operating system (hello, Linux!) on the machines and see if everything works. The computers will be donated to MadLab (and possibly Arcspace, a community project in Hulme).

Don’t worry if you've never done this before, we’ll have an introduction to get you started, experienced girl geeks that help you build the tower of power, plenty of screwdrivers and, of course, tea and biscuits!

Bring along...?

- Your favourite mug

- Your favourite biscuits, cupcakes, tea, coffee (we'll have the basics, but in case you fancy something slightly more interesting... :)

- Your friends, sisters, mums, cousins, daughters, colleagues... who might be interested in doing some techy stuff