[Fsuk-manchester] Andrew Robinson (UK Pirate Party), speaking in Manches

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Andrew Robinson (UK Pirate Party), speaking in Manchester on Thursday
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:41:11 +0000

Hi there,

I've just found out that Andrew Robinson, leader of the UK Pirate Party[1] will be speaking in Manchester on Thursday evening.

A graphic designer by trade and a musician in his spare time, Andrew heads up the UK Pirate party - a political party - registered with the electoral register with "Reform copyright and patent law" as one of it's core aims.

He is going to be speaking at the launch event of Manchester Free Culture Society[2], a newly formed group to encourage discussion and debate about free culture and copyright with relation to creative works.

-----

I'm told that the launch night will also feature:

John Harris, Director of the ISEI (Institute for Science, Ethics and Innovation)[3]

Creative Commons licenced band: I am Ten Ninja[4]

A short film by Lawrence Lessig[5]

Plus art, music, literature and software etc.

------

As I mentioned, the event is this Thursday evening, in the council chambers at at Manchester University Student Union.

The event is due to start at 6.30pm and go on until about 8pm.

How to Get to the SU (Manchester Academy!):
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=m13+9PR
http://www.umsu.manchester.ac.uk/contact_location/steve_biko_building_academy

------

On a personal note, I'm not totally convinced that Mr Robinson has got it right, however I think that discussion and public debate about these issues is the only way of coming to a general consensus.

Cheers,

Tim

------

Footnotes: