RE: [Fsuk-manchester] free art and music

From: Luke Taylor
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] free art and music
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:30:08 +0000

> As has been pointed out, you'll need to be aware of some of the
> restrictions of some CC licenses. Also, I'm not sure if the NC clause
> prevents you from selling CDs for non-profit groups (it might be worth
> asking the bands individually if it does).

As Michael and Lucy say, alot of stuff exists under the NC restriction. I will actually be "selling" on a donation basis and not keeping any money. Whether or not activities like this count as commercial is fairly controversial: http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/17127. My feelings are that it is fine, even if it is technically commercial, how many charity do's pay royalities for their use of fully commercial music? I'm sure this will be legit.

I will make an effort for everything to be just BY or BY-SA. If I see something really cool under NC, I will probably just take it to be honest. Practically speaking, I can't conceive of somebody being nice enough to CC their art and then taking a charitable event to court. Ideologically speaking, there could be a bit of a problem? Opinions?

Luke