Re: [Fsuk-manchester] free art and music

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] free art and music
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:12:52 +0000

On 27 February 2010 19:48, Luke Taylor <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I'm going to be selling some CC'd art and music soon with money being
> divided in proportion to the charities nominated by the customers but I need
> some sources. Has anybody come across some CC art/music that they
> particularly liked? (or even just liked a bit), any recomendations will be
> greatly appreciated.

Have you checked out Jamendo[1] yet?

Dan Lynch[2] is a good artist IMO, he also releases a podcast once a
week containing CC'd music, called Rathole radio[3]. In addition, he
created a mix-CD of CC'd music[4] especially for MFS's Software
Freedom Day celebrations.

Jonathan Coulton is another favourite artist of mine (he played
Manchester Academy last year too) [5].

Nine Inch Nails have released a couple of albums under a CC BY-NC-SA license.

As has been pointed out, you'll need to be aware of some of the
restrictions of some CC licenses. Also, I'm not sure if the NC clause
prevents you from selling CDs for non-profit groups (it might be worth
asking the bands individually if it does).

[1] http://www.jamendo.com/en/
[2] danlynch.org
[3] http://ratholeradio.org/
[4] http://ratholeradio.org/freecd/