RE: [Fsuk-manchester] Questioning Linus's Law...

From: Luke Taylor
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] Questioning Linus's Law...
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:29:37 +0000

> Furthermore,
>
> its about diversity, and by allowing more people the possibility to
> review code promotes diversity. If development and code review is the
> exclusive responsibility of a specific collection of individuals (i.e.
> Microsoft employees) what happens to this diversity and all of the
> benefits associated with it?

Very true, I always feel that evidence-based policy/evaluation is the best way to go forward, whatever the situation and as far as I am aware, the evidence indicates that free operating systems (especially openBSD?) are the most secure. (whether this is due to inherent security or market share is entirely beside the point when considering the best system)

I am not knowledgable on the subject of security though and am aware that there is always the possibility that Gnu and BSD systems are secure just because of their low market share. I once read for example that OSX is less secure than windows but nethertheless safer to use because everybody targets windows.

Is anybody aware of an "objective" analysis of various systems that evaluates security and is not biased towards low share systems?

Luke

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now