Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ofcom public consultation on BBC DRM

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ofcom public consultation on BBC DRM
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:20:53 +0000 (GMT)

Mark Reynolds <address@hidden>
> According to
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/22/ofcom_freeview_hd_drm_consultation/
> this will not stop you being able to make a recording on a DVR but
> 'if your set-top box doesn't support the BBC's preferred DRM
> technology, you won't get to see BBC channels on your Electronic
> Programme Guide (EPG) and use it schedule recordings'
>
> Summary
> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/content_mngt/summary/

My local relay hasn't switched over yet, so I don't have a DVB-T
signal to look at until a few days before this consultation closes.
How does the current situation on DVB-T differ from the current
situation on Freesat where the full EPG is broadcast on its own
multiplex (instead of on the same multiplex as the channel) and very
few DVB-S receivers can read it?

I note with some sadness that this isn't a consultation on
whether to deploy content management and that the digital TV
"industry" have already decided that for us.  Do the big cities
like Manchester have any digital free ("pirate") broadcasters yet?

Thanks
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software