Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Selling" Free software to the masses

From: Iain Roberts
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Selling" Free software to the masses
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:09:29 +0000 (GMT)

Having spent a good chunk of the last few year promoting free & open source,
and working with other doing the same, I'm afraid I'm not too optimistic about
the ability of the four freedoms and the philsophy behind free software to
appeal to a wider audience.

Remember - GNU/Linux has been around for over 20 years now and every year since
about 2002 has been "the year of the Linux desktop", but the Linux market share
remain stubbornly tiny, depite the efforts of tens of thousands of enthusiasts.
 Compare and contrast with the success of the proprietary iPhone and its
200,000 tightly controlled apps.

The 4 freedoms mean little to modern, non-technical users.  They don't want to
know how the software works, or change it.  If they want to share any software
with someone else, they'll give them the URL or torrent to download it.  And,
in practise, they can normally do what they want with proprietary software.

Mark make an interesting point about DRM and other restrictions.  To some
extent that's true but - in practise - most people find the opposite: there are
far more things that they want to do but can't in *free* software because it
doesn't have the functionality.

I defy anyone who's used the latest versions of MS Office to seriously claim
that OpenOffice.org is as good (though it may be good enough for their needs,
as it is for mine).  Likewise, free software for editing movies and doing DTP
is clearly and often painfully inferior to the better proprietary alternatives.

And isn't so much of this software running on our PCs so old-fashioned anyway,
when so many apps are web based (and free as in beer)?

To promote free software, I would concentrate on the free apps that genuinely
offer something either better than the proprietary alternatives (e.g. Firefox)
or that you couldn't legally improve without paying a significant amount of
money (e.g. Gimp, Inkscape).  Ubuntu's also worth a punt.

They're (relatively) widely used, look good, have lots of handy plug-ins, big
user support communities and do the job well enough for most people's needs.
And, of course, they can be legally obtained free of charge.

Iain

Iain Roberts
Axiom Tech
p: 0845 127 0310   m: 07958 570202  w: www.axiomtech.co.uk

Axiom Tech Ltd is registered in England and Wales at 92 Didsbury Road,
Stockport, SK4 2JL, company no 5684132, VAT no 878 6568 46.  Unless agreed
otherwise, all services and products supplied by Axiom Tech are subject to our
standard terms and conditions, available on request.