Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Selling" Free software to the masses

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Selling" Free software to the masses
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:15:23 +0000

2009/12/28 Simon Ward <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:43:24AM +0000, Luke Taylor wrote:
>> I am putting together some literature to give out to the students at
>> Manchester University promoting free software (and free culture). I
>> have looked around and haven't found any good resources for "selling"
>> free software to non-geeks. Does anybody have any good ideas or points
>> to make to enthuse somebody who may not even know what source code is?
>> The finer points in the GPL versus BSD debate may need to be dropped
>> for example and probably the whole four freedoms thing.
>
> The four freedoms are vital, they define what free software is.  You
> don’t have to explain it as “the four freedoms” and recite them word for
> word, but you will need to mention them all or the whole point of free
> software is lost.

How about writing a simplified, non-technical version of the four
freedoms.. something like:

With Free software:
1. You are free to use the software however and where ever you like.
2.  You are able to share it with your friends, and everyone else.
3. You are allowed (even encouraged) to understand how it works.
4. You can make changes to the software and share those changes with others.