Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Post Bug Reporting talk (was Apologies and thanks

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Post Bug Reporting talk (was Apologies and thanks.)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:02:52 +0000

2009/11/30 Michael Dorrington <address@hidden>:
[snip]

Well done on submitting the bug reports!

> In the talk I was going to say: "Don't call yourself a free software
> advocate if you haven't submitted a bug report." but thought it might be
> too harsh. But now I think that whether you've submitted a bug report,
> or not, separates out the freedom lovers,. which is what free software is
> about, from the freetards, who want things at no cost, which is *not*
> what free software is about. If anyone needs help with submitting a bug
> report or wants me to go through the talk with them then I am happy to
> do so.

I think your initial thought was correct. That statement is way too harsh.

I'd like to see the word 'freetard' banned from this list. It's an
incredibly insulting and childish word that helps no one.

I wouldn't say that someone who uses free software simply because it
costs nothing is selfish. I'd call them lucky. I understand that
people on this list are interested in doing more than simply using
free software and there are loads of different ways to contribute. So
I don't think that someone who has yet to submit a bug report is
somehow lesser than someone who has.

Google threw up these links giving other ways of contributing back to
free software:
*
http://nongeeksight.blogspot.com/2006/09/5-ways-to-contribute-to-open-source.html
* http://www.gnu.org/help/help.html