Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Introductions

From: Leslie I'Anson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Introductions
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:56:19 +0000

On 11/11/2009, Clarke Computers <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Group,

Hello Adrian,

> Excuse my introducing myself as a new member - a more ancient than
> norm "Newbie" having just recently celebrated my 66th and warmly basking in
> the "pipe and slippers" period - not!

It's always nice to hear from new people interested in our group.
Also, many happy but belated returns() for your birthday!

> Not a Guru either - though can claim over 20 years working with Unix
> initially
> with Sun computers in the CAD/CAM field - just short of 10 years renting the
> brain out to the automotive sector, latter two years of purgatory as a baker
> for Sainsburys LOL!

Wow. Personally I'm not a fan of Sun Microsystems (now an arm of
Oracle, which I also don't like much). However, I am a petrol head who
likes my carbs, both kinds (please forgive the pun).

> Currently using an old RM Machines P3 with Debian "Lenny" - hey it works
> brilliantly - only minor hardware tweaks.

We have some die-hard Debian fans in the group, myself included, so
you're in good company.

> Managed to persuade a few neighbours and friends to go down the GNU/Linux
> route after "rescuing" compromised/broken Windoze - which gave me purpose to
> set up the business to promote Linux, otherwise I'd have to take up
> knitting.

We also like the use of the term "GNU/Linux" over "Linux", after all
how far can you get with just a kernel? We know of a couple of similar
business ventures but we are strictly non-profit and encouraging the
use of free (as in speach) software amongst our neighbours is our
primary goal.

> Shame I was not aware of the group previously as I've missed out on your
> last
> meet - the Waterhouse is my watering hole as well as they occasionally have
> my favourite bitter on tap - "White Star" from Titanic brewery in
> Stoke-on-Trent. I contracted quite a bit in Stoke and lived in Burslem so
> became acquainted with their other claim to fame other than the pottery
> industry.

Aside from our meetings at the Waterhouse, we also hold monthly talks
and are currently experimenting with regular workshops.

Our next talk will take place on Tuesday 17th November at the usual
time, 7pm, at the Lass O'Gowrie pub on Charles Street in Central
Manchester. Also, our next workshop is scheduled for the day after,
Wednesday 18th at 6pm at the Manchester Digital Development Agency, on
Portland Street, also in Central Manchester.

If you need more details then please do not hesitate to get back in
touch. Also if you've signed up to our mailing list then you should
see some emails about these two events very soon.

> I'll close before your ears fall off, look forward to your next meeting.
>
> regards,
>
> Adrian Clarke.

Best regards,
Leslie