RE: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: Logo Competition

From: Pete Morris
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: Logo Competition
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:34:50 +0100

This is a really difficult one, as clearly a lot of time and effort has gone
into the GNU-bee design (I like that phrase!) However, I'm not at all convinced
it really meets any of the objectives; I realise that that is not particularly
constructive criticism, and I am not offering a solution, so please feel free
to ignore my comments, but at least if I explain them then it might stimulate
others to think of more constructive criticism I can't seem to find.

The core problem for me is that it is not recognisable ... as anything! For
those who understand the detailed history of Manchester, they might possibly
get the bee metaphore. For those who are already part of the FSF/Linux/GNU/OSS
community, they will probably "get" the bizarre wildebeest head. For anyone
else, it doesn't suggest "computers", "software", "Manchester", "freedom" or
indeed anything, with the possible exception of "genetic mutation". This
wouldn't be a problem if, like Tux, it wasn't really intended to be
representative and was purely a mascott, but this is supposed to be a logo
which is recognisable and identifiable.

To be honest, a large part of the problem is less so with the GNU-bee logo and
more with the GNU logo itself. It's a ridiculously complex design, which scales
poorly, makes no sense (why would a ox-like creature sit in a yogic position
and float around? And why on earth does that then represent free software?),
looks slightly satanic, and doesn't lend itself to integration with other
derived works. Compare that to the major distributions (Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu,
Debian etc.) which all make use of highly simplified stylised vector
object-based logos. Personally speaking, I don't think the FSF logo itself is a
lot better, but at least it roughly makes sense.

So I'm sorry for effectively rubbishing what is obviously someone's hard work,
especially when not providing anything better myself. But I fear if no one
points the problem out it won't be solved.

Pete

(runs and hides)