Re: [Fsuk-manchester] RMS on Swedish Pirate Party vs Free Software

From: Pater Mann
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] RMS on Swedish Pirate Party vs Free Software
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:18:47 +0100

Tim Dobson wrote:
> Pater Mann wrote:
>>
>> The simple fact is that it is very hard to make money from free
>> software.
>
> Teehee. Not in my experience.
>
> Things I've done in the last five years:
>
> * Webdesign a couple of years back:
>
> Zencart for a site wanting a shop
> Wordpress for a band wanting a website

This is in a bit of a grey area as it sits somewhere between two
extremes. For example, supposing someone paid me to develop a sound
sample conversion tool. If I developed it as a pretty GUI front end to
SOX, I could say that I was making money from free software; but what
if I wrote it from scratch in C++ and compiled it using GCC - am I
still making money from free software (GCC)? Basically, are you
"selling" Zencart or Wordpress in these examples or are just using the
tools to develop a product?

The rest I cannot argue with - well done!

patermann