Re: [Fsuk-manchester] RMS on Swedish Pirate Party vs Free Software

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] RMS on Swedish Pirate Party vs Free Software
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:00:50 +0100

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 05:37:06PM +0100, Paul Waring wrote:
> >When copyright expires I don’t believe free software and proprietary
> >software should be treated any differently:  The software becomes free
> >for _everyone_, free or proprietary.
>
> Assuming of course that parts of the software aren't covered by
> other areas of intellectual property, such as patents or trademarks.

These were covered in the original article, but I don’t think there was
a solution.  I asked some questions on patent protection in my original
response.

> Also, what happens if the source code is made available but not
> other components, such as images or database schemas?

Same as now, take for example when the Quake 3 engine was released, but
none of the rest of it.  People created replacements, the engine was
still usable.

simple system that works.—John Gall