Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Jon 'the nice guy' talk on microblogging

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Jon 'the nice guy' talk on microblogging
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:29:29 +0100

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:17:14PM +0100, Mark Reynolds wrote:
> Wow, I can't help feel all that effort was unnecessary.

It's less than 100 lines of Python, and much of that is fluff to do with
logging and error handling.  I spent more effort attempting to get my
system back to a usable state after Gnash had been consuming its
resources. ;)

> There's a text version right there on the same page

I'm still looking for that and haven't found it yet.

> and a get file link you just need a login to get.

I'm not registering on the site just to see its content. This is the
Internet, damn it.

> I looked through it using the embedded flash quite painlessly on the
> same Kubuntu 9.04 box I'm using to post this.

Shockwave Flash is a poor format for distribution, even while free
software flash players exist.  Whether the Adobe Flash Player or Gnash
is used, both have a tendency to consume a lot of resources, crash,
sometimes taking the browser with them.

With the SWF files downloaded, I can use a standalone player to either
show them, or convert to a more useful format.

simple system that works.—John Gall