[Fsuk-manchester] Re: Canonical's bad decisions

From: Lucy
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: Canonical's bad decisions
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:16:35 +0100

2009/6/17 Tim Dobson <address@hidden>:
> Bob Ham wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:15 +0100, Lucy wrote:

>>> also agree that Canonical have made some really bad decisions
>>> recently, separate discussion though).
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, which decisions were those?
>
> Well the one's I'd mention would be:
> The serverside of Ubuntuone being non-free software
> The serverside of Landscape being non-free software

I think you mean Launchpad here? UbuntuOne and Launchpad were the main
two I was thinking of. Although, the creation of Landscape as well
indicates that their business model is going in the wrong direction.

> Stalling the free software release of Launchpad and not releasing the build
> system and code hosting bits as free software.

I don't blame them for being slow in releasing the Launchpad code.
They are a small company taking the time to do it properly and
releasing non-trivial non-free code under a free license is always
going to be difficult - much better to start free :/